New Delhi. 23 FEB: Indian climate ActivistDisha Ravi, who was arrested from Bengaluru, Karnataka in the “Toolkit” case earlier this month, has been granted bail by Delhi Court.
Delhi court, while granting her bail, made tough remarks in favor of freedom of speech and expression and right to dissent in the country.
The court while granting bail said,
- The offence of sedition cannot be invoked to minister to the wounded vanity of the governments.
- citizens are conscience keepers of the government in any democratic nation. They cannot be put behind the bars simply because they choose to disagree with the State policies.
- The right to dissent is firmly enshrined under Article 19 of The Constitution of India.
- “In my considered opinion the freedom of speech and expression includes the right to seek a global audience. There are no geographical barriers on communication.
- A Citizen has the fundamental rights to use the best means of imparting and receiving communication, as long as the same is permissible under the four corners of law and as such have access to audience abroad”.
More National, Global News
You can get instant news and articles from Hyderabad Post